Monday, January 28, 2008

Last night, I discovered the world of medblogs, and now I'm hooked. (Thank you internet, for stealing yet another day of my life.) Some of my favorites:

M.D.O.D. www.docsontheweb.blogspot.com
Musings of a Highly Trained Monkey www.highlytrainedmonkey.blogspot.com
Scalpel or Sword www.scalpelorsword.com

It got me wondering about what I'm writing this for, who I'm writing it to, etc. The idea of writing a medblog is appealing in a sense. I could use an outlet for venting--try as she might, my wife just doesn't always get it. I also work in a single-coverage ER for the most part, and I sort of miss having other docs to talk to. On the other hand, I spend enough time at work, that when I get home, medicine is often the last thing I want to think or talk about.

I want to write about what I'm thinking, which more often than not is not related to medicine, and may or may not be all that interesting. I would love for my friends to stop by and read a few posts, but most of my friends aren't in the medical field and aren't the blogging type, if there is such a thing. And with such a lack of direction, I'm not sure I can count on any consistent audience of strangers out there.

So, I guess I'm settling on this blog being for me. Well, me and that faceless stranger I'm talking to in these posts who always cares what I have to say, no matter the subject, and is intensely interested.

For anyone else who happens to wander by this blog, deal with it.

Oh...and feel free to leave a comment...

7 comments:

scalpel said...

Write about anything you want, it's your blog. Welcome to the medblogosphere!

Kacey said...

You're right about wanting to talk about medicine even after work. I am eleven years after work and miss talking about things that medical people are interested in. The medical blogs satisfy that part of me that is still thinking about medicine in a world of people who don't want to think about it, let alone talk about it. Welcome to the blog world. Old nurses still find value in your ideas and experiences.

Mary Ellen said...

I find each word fascinating.

Mark p.s.2 said...

I believe writing helps people. As when we see our own thoughts written down it can help us to analyse our own actions, becoming a better or more insightful person perhaps. As well as venting out anger that needs to be vented somewhere that is harmless.

Slicy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Slicy said...

I believe that you writing let's people that you used to hang out with and be friends with (or perhaps are still friends with from a ways away) see a window into your life and can still feel the association that they once had and might still miss. It allows a little glue from a friendship to remains strong, and possibly stay fast.

That, or at least I can pee myself laughing at the shared misery of others.

-slicy

Devorrah said...

Come back! I like your blog, and you're a good writer.