Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The power of an apology

I recently treated two college freshman who had concocted this homemade brew of nutmeg and poppy seeds. The reason for the poppy seeds is fairly obvious, but the addition of the nutmeg puzzled me a little. Until I called Poison Control and found out that nutmeg has fairly potent anticholinergic properties--tachycardia, dry mouth, vomiting, hallucinations---aaahhh...that's it--hallucinations. Our two little scientists had come up with a brand new concoction that was totally legal and available at your local grocery store.

Well, since the safety of this brew hasn't been as well established as some of the more commonly used drugs we see all the time (crack, meth, marijuana, etc), we were obligated to give these guys charcoal, which they inevitably vomited all over the place (why didn't I put in an NG tube???) For non-medical folks, charcoal vomiting creates a mess that no commercial stain remover is designed to clean up. This mess then tied up not one, but both of our night nurses for a good hour. We then had to call the social worker to come see them in the middle of the night and arrange for their ICU admission.

The thing that makes this story unique (besides the novel use of nutmeg) is that towards the end of this, one of them tells me "I'm really sorry about all of this." Huh? You're sorry? I was speechless. Sure, patients have said this before, but it's usually the little old lady who's so sorry to be bugging everyone about this, but she's concerned about this tearing sensation in her chest that turns out to be an aortic dissection. It's never the people that really should be sorry.

But you know what? The two words "I'm sorry" made everything--the charcoal mess, the tired social worker, the ICU admission--a little better for everyone. I guess it's because we've all done really stupid things in our lives, things that create bigger problems than a little mess on the floor. Thank goodness for the words, "I'm sorry."

3 comments:

ERnursey said...

Oh great, something new to look forwar to, NOT! ;)

Ladyk73 said...

I have no idea why I know this....wait I think it was a bit of knowledge I learned in pharmacy school (before I flunked out). A whole 'nut?' of nutmeg can be deadly. Charcoal was a good idea....

Slicy said...

It does seem like half of the time the job pretty much is taking care of problems some dumbazzes created for themselves.

I dunno, let's take a recent example...

What's that sir? You got really drunk and decided to go racing on your motorcycle? Yeah, that sure seems like a good idea, I hope you like eating through a tube for the next 6 months. Oh, and I'll give a call to synergy OB so they can remove your wife's uterus, since with your shattered pelvis and torn nether-regions, you're going to be out of commission for the next forever. The good news? Well, you are one of the few surviving people that can be eligible for a Darwin award, go team!

-Slicy

-slicy