Thursday, February 21, 2008

The pain scale

A word of advice: if you're asked to rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10, choose a number between 1 and 10. 11 is not between 1 and 10. Neither is 15. I know you're trying to communicate to me the urgency of your headache. I know you're trying to impress upon me just how bad it hurts. But in reality, it's all I can do to not roll my eyes at you (or stab this 18-gauge needle into your leg and ask you where your pain is now...between 1 and 10). And the triage nurse, the registration clerk, the tech, and everyone else who treats you are all thinking the same thing.

Forgive what I'm sure you'll perceive as a lack of compassion, but every day we see people with severed limbs, broken femurs, or jagged rocks passing through their urinary tract, who all manage to pick a number between 1 and 10. And they rarely pick 10.

Oh...and it helps if we don't have to wake you up to pick your number.

I hate the pain scale.

3 comments:

MonkeyGirl said...

Amen.

The Pain Scale makes me crazy.

Your hangnail is not a 10, jackass.

EE said...

Agreed.

I love it when their pain is 10/10 yet they scream when I do a finger stick.

Morons.

or stab this 18-gauge needle into your leg and ask you where your pain is now...between 1 and 10
LMAO!

Slicy said...

I JUST had this same conversation with a patient today. I was actually joking with a 16 year-old kid who was pretty cool and interested in medicine. His comment to me was

"Nah, I really don't mind needles to much, I'm ok with them and pain."

I proceeded to crap my pants in shock. After changing and returning to the room, he again reiterated that it really didn't bother him too much. He still asked that I numb him up before I put in my sutures. I think he actually thought I might give him a piece of bark to bite on while I sutured him up. I proceeded to use lidocaine for his small lac, and sewed him up without a peep. Not a sound other than a fun conversation with a cool kid.

It is sometimes so odd when you get a person who is normal.

-slicy